Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Food Safety, Intro to Culinary and a Knife Kit

Hi Everyone,

First night of culinary class and all is well! I am happy to report my new hours at work seemed to succeed in allowing me to get to school on time, even in I-95 Traffic!

Shockingly, our first night of class had already "weeded" some people out. We had between 27-30 that were signed up for the night classes at orientation and yet on our first night we were down to 20. However, looking at the schedule and syllabus, it's not a program to be taken lightly!

After getting a refresher on acceptable/required behaviour, attitude and needed mind set to survive the program we were given our knife kit. ME LIKEY! It's the sexiest inannimate thing I've ever been given by a stranger! It's a three layered soft kit that is filled with so many treasures I had to shove my fist in my mouth to keep from squealing like a stuck pig. I'll be sure to get some pic's of the kit on the blog soon!

After we all finished cleaning up the drool pools caused by the knife kit, we foraged into the world of food safety. I have barely dipped my toe into this section and already see that it's going to require a strong constitution. The Chef leading the class warned that we will never look at food service establishments the same way again. He's right. From the little we started with there's already a touch of the oogies going on in my stomach. I'm thinking this must be what nurses and doctors go through when studying diseases. No matter where you look, it's hard to shake the feeling that there's some cranky bit of bacteria waiting to screw your day. So, that being said, I promis NOT to elaborate on what we're learning but I will say this: WASH YOUR HANDS AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN!

So, all in all, it was a very interesting and informative class. We did get some homework assignments which, being the over achieving brat that I am, I just about finished during our breaks last night. Instead of going for a walk or out for air, I stayed in class and got about 80-90% completed. Next class is Wednesday night and it's all about baking. Apparently, BISCUITS are on the menu!

Tonight, Jack and I are having grilled cow and sweet potatoes after we go to the gym.

HAVE A GREAT DAY & HAPPY COOKING!

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited for you! I can't wait to see what amazing things come from this!

    ReplyDelete