Monday, March 5, 2012

Dress It Up!

Since we opened the Cafe in October, the house vinaigrette has been a pretty large topic of conversation. The staff love it and many of our customers have asked me for the recipe! Salad dressing is a personal thing - some want only oil and vinegar while some want the ever pleasing ranch. Salad is usually the first "go-to" lunch or dinner meal for those who are focused on a healthy diet. Often it's fortified with chicken, nuts and seeds or various fruits and cheeses. I myself do that when I choose to make salad my meal. However, I have to say that when I dine out and salad is what I'm in the mood for, it's the dressing more than anything else that can sway my choice.

Our vinaigrette at the cafe is comprised of three ingredients; white balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard and canola oil. Yes, canola oil. Now, I'm sure many of you have the same reaction that a lot of my customers have, "Why aren't you using olive oil???" Well, I'll tell you. In my opinion, the type of oil I use in a dressing will vary with the kind of greens I'm using. For a heartier lettuce with lots of crunch but without a lot of flavor, I want a heartier oil such as olive oil. For a salad comprised of a more delicate lettuce, such as our spring mesclun mix, I want a lighter oil that won't hide the greens flavor so I choose canola oil.

White balsamic vinegar - I cannot tell you how often a customer will swear to me that there is lemon juice in my dressing. The white balsamic is a bit lighter and much fruitier and when blended with the dijon, it gives just the right balance of acid, fruitiness and tang. Simple? Yes. Delicious? Yes, I think it is!

So, since many have asked, here's the recipe for our vinaigrette:

1 Cup White Balsamic Vinegar
1/8 Cup Dijon Mustard
2 Cups Canola Oil

Whisk together the vinegar and mustard until thoroughly combined. Very slowly whisk in the canola oil until fully incorporated and you have a light emulsion. Transfer to small air tight container and keep in the refrigerator. *If oil congeals, set it out of the refrigerator and bring to room temperature. If the dressing seems to have broken, simply whisk until well combined!

Now go on and toss your salad!!!

1 comment:

  1. Jeffrey -
    I miss seeing you all the time in Fairfield! I'm glad things are working about for you at the new place, and I will have to get up there for a class soon! - Best, Shira

    ReplyDelete