Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Soup's On!

So, every week at the Cafe, we have a different seasonal soup. In the beginning it was a pumpkin soup. I love pumpkin soup and really happen to love my recipe for pumpkin soup. Thankfully, our customers did as well! It remained on the menu for close to 3 months! Any mention during the winter of changing the pumpkin soup was met with threats of me losing an appendage! However, now, we're on a weekly soup. The fun part is coming up with new creations each week.

Inadvertently, I've created somewhat of a following for my seasonal soups, as usually, they're a cream-less puree of some type. I like to blend whole vegetables (and a lot of them) together with stock to create a nice thick and creamy soup that doesn't include cream. You can do this at home providing you've got a good blender. At work I use a Vitamix and at home I use a Breville. Both work beautifully. I'm not so much into the hand blender as I don't think it gives you as silky of a texture that I like.

This week, I've come up with a sugar snap pea and vegetable soup with fresh herbs. On my way to work today I was thinking about what I don't like about pea soup and what I do like about it. Usually, I find it grainy and not so much silky. Also, I find that dried peas just aren't my favorite. I do love the heartiness of a good thick pea soup, but, that's more of a winter soup. Sooooo.... sugar snap peas, some carrots, celery and onions sauteed down with some butter and herbs makes the base... this blends with a nice strong vegetable stock and voila! A silky and delicious soup that doesn't have cream. However, being known for my love of all things butter and cream, I had to add something to finish the soup. So, just before serving, a few crumbles of goat cheese are placed right in the center. It's delicious!!

Now, tomorrow, April 4th, Scott Haney will be at the store for a visit, and from what I heard, he should be there around noon - LUNCH TIME! Scott loved my pumpkin soup, so, I hope he'll feel the same way about the pea soup!!

2 comments:

  1. Love the Blog Jeff!!!
    I will be in next Tuesday. Can't wait to try out your sugar snap pea soup.....
    Sounds scrumptious..
    Joan V....( You remembered me because of my glasses )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow wish I could come there every day for your special menu items. Thanks for sharing Jeffery

    ReplyDelete