Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Weirdest Thing I Ever Ate.....

I love food... shocking I know. Monday's are my day off and I found myself making chicken paprikash and watching lots of television... well, movies and television. One show I love which is intersting and gross at the same time is Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern... I see the things he eats and I wonder how he hasn't died of a rare disease! However, it made me think of some of the strange things I've eaten. Moreso, it made me think of the reaction from people when I tell them about some of the things I've eaten. I think I might have had a little more in common with Andrew Zimmern than I thought! While in Zurich, my host took me out to a lovely cafe and ordered for both of us. One word in the Suisse-German stuck out in my mind but I couldn't place it and it was causing my brain to itch. Another glass of wine later and it hit me. "I THINK HE JUST ORDERED ME HORSE!"... so, as delicately and with as much class as I could muster I said "Did you just order me steak from an animal that I could have potentially named, saddled and rode?!?!?!?!" Not one of my finer moments. He assured me it was delicious and that if I didn't like it we'd order something else. My Horse Au Poivre arrives and I looked at it as though it were something from a horror movie. Then I took a bite. My horror movie turned into a love story. Now, I want you to look at yourself in the mirror at the face you're probably making. My dear friend Nanette has a horse farm and cries every time she hears I've eaten horse. I will admit I have a little guilt when I remember how tasty it was. Now, some people's icky is someone else's tasty. So, for me I was a yes on horse and a yes on most everything except maybe for tripe. So, for you my dear reader, what's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

1 comment:

  1. My husband tells me that fries cooked in horse fat are supposed to be incredible. He missed an opportunity to try horse in Switzerland several years ago and has regretted it ever since. However, compliments of the creative cooks at a St. Johnsbury AP conference, we've tried elk and some other interesting foods I've since forgotten. Hooray for adventurous eating! :)

    ReplyDelete